Hiring a vehicle
Hiring a car or moped
You will be entering into a contract when you hire a car or moped. It's important to know your rights when hiring a vehicle to avoid any extra charges.
During your hire
- When driving the vehicle, regularly check the fuel gauge, temperature gauge and oil pressure lights. Be aware of strange noises and any warning signs of a mechanical problem.
- If there is a problem, immediately stop the vehicle and contact the hire company. If you continue to drive, you might be held liable for subsequent damage.
- When returning the vehicle, get the hire company to inspect and record the condition of the vehicle on the hire contract.
- Only the listed driver on the contract is covered by the insurance. If you lend the vehicle to anyone else you will not be covered.
- If you are involved in an accident with the hire vehicle, take notes and photos. Ask for the personal details, vehicle make and registration number of anyone else involved and contact a supervisor at the hire company for assistance.
- For more information on vehicle hire or to lodge a complaint, please visit the Office of Fair Trading or call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).